REGULAR SCHEDULED MEETING
CITY OF GRIFFIN BOARD OF COMMISSIONERS
TUESDAY, OCTOBER 9, 2012
W. ELMER GEORGE MUNICIPAL HALL
100 SOUTH HILL STREET
Call to order by Chairperson Ward
Pledge of Allegiance
PRESENTATIONS / DELEGATIONS
1. Recognize Connie Hendrix of Central Services Department as the September 2012 “Strongest Link” Award recipient. Director of Central Services Phill Francis will address.
2. Recognize a Proclamation for the Centennial Celebration of the Salvation Army.
3. Recognize the award of $500,000.00 from the Atlanta Regional Commission to the City of Griffin for the 2012 Community Development Block Grant (CDBG). Director of Planning & Development Services Taurus Freeman will address.
4. Review Financials for August 2012. Director of Administrative Services Markus Schwab will address.
At this time, the Chairperson opens the floor to comments from the audience. Comments should relate to a specific agenda item, not listed on the agenda for a Public Hearing, or to a concern within the jurisdiction of the City. Commission meetings serve the purpose of conducting city business and are not a forum for the unlimited expression of opinion. The Chairperson reserves the right to limit comments to matters germane to city business and may refer speakers to the City Manager or other staff for resolution.
Public Hearings are conducted to allow public comment on specific advertised issues such as rezoning, ordinances, policy development, operating budgets and other legislative actions to be considered by the City Commission.
5. Receive comments regarding a request for a variance from Article 605F, General Architectural Standards of the City of Griffin Unified Development Code to reduce the
roof from a (6/12) pitch to a flat roof for the property located at 651 East College Street. Director of Planning & Development Services Taurus Freeman will address.
6. Consider approval of Minutes of the Regular Scheduled Meeting on September 25, 2012 and Minutes of the Workshop on September 25, 2012.
7. Consider Second and Final Reading of an Ordinance amending the Code of Griffin, GA of Chapter 6, Alcohol Beverages, Article II, Licenses, Section 6-42(c), Location Restriction for Package Sales, by adding West McIntosh Road, east of U.S. Highways 19/41 (North Expressway) to its intersection with Old Atlanta Road as a corridor on which package sales of Distilled Spirits may be located.
The Regular Agenda includes items on which the Commission will individually consider and possibly take action.
8. Consider approval a request for a variance from Article 605F, General Architectural Standards of the City of Griffin Unified Development Code to reduce the roof from a (6/12) pitch to a flat roof for the property located at 651 East College Street. Director of Planning and Development Services Taurus Freeman will address.
9. Consider awarding bid, and agreement with McLeRoy, Inc. for sidewalk construction in the amount of $205,144.55 for the 2008 Special Purpose Local Option Sales Tax (SPLOST) project. Director of Public Works and Utilities Dr. Brant Keller will address.
10. Consider a Task Order Form in accordance with the Master Services Agreement with Paragon Consulting Group for Shoal Creek C & D Grading Project for dredging material from Heads Creek Reservoir in the amount of $51,325.00. Director of Public Works and Utilities Dr. Brant Keller will address.
11. Consider purchase of a Pipeline Television Inspection System from Atlas Inspection Technologies, LLC, in the amount of $119,050.00 for use in the Stormwater Division. Director of Public Works and Utilities Dr. Brant Keller will address.
12. Consider approval to purchase a Ford F150 pick-up truck from Speedway Ford in the amount of $22,984.92 for the Public Works Department, and surplus a Ford Ranger, Unit #604. Director of Public Works and Utilities Dr. Brant Keller will address.
13. Consider approval to purchase an F250 pick-up truck from Speedway Ford in the amount of $23,374.38 for the Public Works Department. Director of Public Works and Utilities Dr. Brant Keller will address.
14. Consider for approval to amend the City of Griffin’s Fiscal Year 2013 Operating and Capital Budget in the amount of $2,500.00 to revise the Space Needs
Assessment (Master Plan Revision) at 1012 North Hill Street (Thomas Property) per bid 08125 as revised on August 29, 2012. Director of Electric Bill Bosch will address.
15. Consider the purchase of two (2) Ford F150 pick-up trucks from Speedway Ford for the Utility Service Workers in the amount of $15,548.06 each, replacing Units #3740 and #3741, and declare those units surplus. Director of Electric Bill Bosch will address.
16. Consider a Resolution accepting the Spalding County Emergency Management Plan, revised in May, 2012. Chief Frank Strickland will address.
17. Consider an ordinance amending the Code of Griffin, Georgia at Chapter 58, Offenses & Miscellaneous Provisions, by enacting a new Article II, Weapons, restricting defined weapons from certain government buildings. Chief Frank Strickland will address.
18. Appoint two (2) members to the Historic Preservation Commission.
CITY MANAGER’S REPORT
The City Manager will update the Commission on pending items, upcoming workshops, meetings, conferences and other pertinent issues.
CITY COMMISSIONER COMMENTS
Commissioners will provide updates regarding issues of interest from their respective districts and/or committee reports.