REGULAR SCHEDULED MEETING
CITY OF GRIFFIN BOARD OF COMMISSIONERS
TUESDAY, JANUARY 10, 2012
W. ELMER GEORGE MUNICIPAL HALL
100 SOUTH HILL STREET
Call to order by Chairperson Todd
Pledge of Allegiance
SPECIAL ORDERS OF BUSINESS
1. Elect Chairperson for calendar year 2012.
2. Appoint Vice-Chairperson for calendar year 2012 by the Chairperson.
PRESENTATIONS / DELEGATIONS
3. Recognize Chairperson Joanne Todd for her service as Mayor of the City
of Griffin for calendar year 2011. 2012 Chairperson will address.
4. Recognize Jennifer McClure of the Police Department as the December
2011 “Strongest Link” Award recipient. Chief Frank Strickland will
5. Review Financials for November 2011. Director of Administrative
Services Markus Schwab will address.
At this time, the Chairperson opens the floor to comments from the audience.
Comments should relate to a specific agenda item, not listed on the agenda for a Public
Hearing, or to a concern within the jurisdiction of the City. Commission meetings
serve the purpose of conducting city business and are not a forum for the unlimited
expression of opinion. The Chairperson reserves the right to limit comments to matters
germane to city business and may refer speakers to the City Manager or other staff for
Public Hearings are conducted to allow public comment on specific advertised issues
such as rezoning, ordinances, policy development, operating budgets and other
legislative actions to be considered by the City Commission.
6. Consider approval of Minutes of the Regular Scheduled Meeting on
December 13, 2011 and Minutes of the Workshop on December 13, 2011.
The Regular Agenda includes items on which the Commission will individually
consider and possibly take action.
7. Consider the purchase of 4 (four) new Dodge Charger Police Package cars
from Akins Ford Dodge Jeep Chrysler Government Sales for the price of
$23,591.81 (total of 94,367.24); equipment for the units from Trans-
Comm for the price of $4,924.00 (total of $19,696.00). Total cost for the
four vehicles equipped is $114,063.24. Chief Frank Strickland will
8. Consider approval of employment contract between the Board of
Commissioners and the City Manager. City Manager Kenny smith will
9. Approve Resolution making appointment to the office of Judge of the
Municipal Court and approving compensation for said position.
10. Approve Resolution making appointment to the office of Municipal Court
Solicitor and approving compensation for said position.
11. Approve Resolution making appointment to the office of Municipal Court
Clerk and approving compensation for said position.
12. Approve Resolution making appointment to the office of Municipal
Registrar and approving compensation for said position.
13. Approve Resolution making appointment to the office of City Attorney
and approving compensation for said position.
14. Appoint two members to the Griffin-Spalding Hospital Authority.
15. Appoint four members to the Griffin-Spalding Development Authority.
16. Appoint three members to the Griffin Housing Authority.
17. Appoint two members to the Airport Advisory Board.
18. Appoint six members to the Griffin-Spalding Area Transportation
19. Appoint one member to the Board of Health.
20. Appoint seven members to the Keep Griffin-Spalding Beautiful, Inc.
21. Appoint one member to the Workforce Investment Council.
22. Appoint one member to the Griffin Downtown Council.
23. Appoint one member to the Chamber of Commerce Board of Directors.
24. Appoint one member to the Griffin-Spalding E911 Board.
25. Appoint three members to the Planning and Zoning Board.
26. Appoint ten members to the City of Griffin Tree Board.
27. Appoint three members to the Historic Preservation Commission.
28. Appoint four members to the Main Street Program Advisory Board.
CITY MANAGER’S REPORT
The City Manager will update the Commission on pending items, upcoming
workshops, meetings, conferences and other pertinent issues.
CITY COMMISSIONER COMMENTS
Commissioners will provide updates regarding issues of interest from their respective
districts and/or committee reports.