REGULAR SCHEDULED MEETING
CITY OF GRIFFIN BOARD OF COMMISSIONERS
TUESDAY, JANUARY 25, 2011
W. ELMER GEORGE MUNICIPAL HALL
100 SOUTH HILL STREET
**Click links below to jump to the agenda item**
Start Video at the Beginning
Call to order by Chairperson Ward
Pledge of Allegiance
SPECIAL ORDERS OF BUSINESS
1. Elect Chairperson for calendar year 2011.
2. Appoint Vice-Chairperson for calendar year 2011 by Chairperson.
PRESENTATIONS / DELEGATIONS
3. Recognize Chairperson Cynthia Ward for her service as Mayor of the City
of Griffin for calendar year 2010. Chairperson will address.
4. Recognize Cpl. Mike Morris of the Griffin Police Department as
December 2010 Employee of the Month. Chief Frank Strickland will
5. Recognize Tom Ridgway of the Electric Department as the City of Griffin
2010 Employee of the Year. Director of Electric Bill Bosch will address.
6. Consider approval of a Proclamation recognizing Saturday, February 12,
2011 as Arbor Day in the City of Griffin. Chairperson will address.
At this time, the Chairperson opens the floor to comments from the audience. Comments
should relate to a specific agenda item, not listed on the agenda for a Public Hearing, or to a
concern within the jurisdiction of the City. Commission meetings serve the purpose of
conducting city business and are not a forum for the unlimited expression of opinion. The
Chairperson reserves the right to limit comments to matters germane to city business and may
refer speakers to the City Manager or other staff for resolution.
Public Hearings are conducted to allow public comment on specific advertised issues such as
rezoning, ordinances, policy development, operating budgets and other legislative actions to be
considered by the City Commission.
7. Receive comments regarding a Resolution for the use of traffic control
monitoring devices at additional intersections within the City of Griffin.
Chief Frank Strickland will address.
8. Receive comments regarding the proposed Five-year Short-Term Work
Program Update to the Solid Waste Management Plan. Director of
Central Services Phill Francis will address.
9. Consider approval of Minutes of the Regular Scheduled Meeting on
December 14, 2010 and Minutes of the Workshop on December 14, 2010.
10. Consider approval of Second and Final Reading of an Ordinance
amending the Code of Griffin, Georgia, at Chapter 90, Traffic and
Vehicles, Article IV, Downtown Parking, by repealing the existing
Chapter in its entirety and adopting a new Article IV, Parking, which
eliminates two hour parking restrictions in Downtown.
11. Consider approval of Second and Final Reading of an Ordinance to amend
the Code of Griffin, Georgia, at Chapter 22, Buildings and Building
Regulations, Article IV, Unfit Building and Structures, by adopting a new
Article VI, Pre-owned Manufactured Homes, regulating the location
thereof in said city.
The Regular Agenda includes items on which the Commission will individually consider and
possibly take action.
12. Consider approval of Lease Agreement between the City of Griffin an
ALTernative Logistics for twelve (12) months lease of Suite 502 in On
Griffin Center effective February 1, 2011, in the amount of $7215 per
year. City Manager Kenny Smith will address.
13. Consider approval of a Resolution, in accordance with the Georgia
Election Code and State Election Board, to call for a Municipal Election
for Districts 2, 4 and 7 (at-Large) on Tuesday, November 8, 2011, and to
establish a qualifying fee in accordance with Georgia Election Code and
Rules of the State Election Board, Section 21-2-131, in the amount of
$403.20. City Manager Kenny Smith will address.
14. Consider approval of a Resolution to partner with the Georgia Department
of Revenue in an effort to ensure proper payment of sales tax. City
Manager Kenny Smith will address.
15. Consider approval of a Resolution to amend the City of Griffinís Water
Wastewater Utility Fund FY 2011 Budget by decreasing Personal Services
at Cabin Creek by $32,175.00 and increasing Personal Services in Water
Distribution by $18,908.00. Director of Public Works and Utilities Dr.
Brant Keller will address.
16. Consider approval to purchase from Wade Tractor & Equipment, Inc. a 95
Hp ROPS Tractor and Boom Mower in the amount of $66,900.00, for use
in the Stormwater Department. Director of Public Works and Utilities Dr.
Brant Keller will address.
17. Consider purchase of a 2011 Ford Expedition Command Vehicle off State
Contract in the amount of $23,661.00 from Allan Vigil Ford Govít Sales,
for use in the Fire Department. Chief Tommy Jones will address.
18. Consider approval for the sale of 2,827 kW of excess reserve capacity in
the amount of $2.43/kW-year for 2011 to the City of Jackson. Director
of Electric Bill Bosch will address.
19. Consider approval to deposit the Cityís off system energy sales margin for
calendar year 2011 in the Flexible Operating Account, Short Term
Portfolio of the MEAG Municipal Trust. Director of Electric Bill Bosch
20. Consider approval to direct MEAG Power to add $275,825.00 per month
to the MEAG bill, and deposit $137,912.50 per month to the Flexible
Operating Account/Short Term Portfolio, $68,956.25 to the New
Generation and Capacity Funding Account/Intermediate Term Portfolio.
Director of Electric Bill Bosch will address.
21. Approve Resolution making appointment to the office of Judge of the
Municipal Court and approving compensation for said position.
22. Approve Resolution making appointment to the office of Municipal Court
Solicitor and approving compensation for said position.
23. Approve Resolution making appointment to the office of Municipal Court
Clerk and approving compensation for said position.
24. Approve Resolution making appointment to the office of Municipal
Registrar and approving compensation for said position.
25. Approve Resolution making appointment to the office of City Attorney
and approving compensation for said position.
26. Appoint two members to the Griffin-Spalding Hospital Authority.
27. Appoint two members to the Griffin-Spalding Development Authority.
28. Appoint three members to the Griffin Housing Authority.
29. Appoint one member to the Airport Advisory Board.
30. Appoint six members to the Griffin-Spalding Area Transportation
31. Appoint one member to the Three Rivers Board of Directors.
32. Appoint two members to the Board of Health.
33. Appoint three members to the Spalding County Collaborative Authority.
34. Appoint one member to the Workforce Investment Council.
35. Appoint one member to the Griffin Downtown Council.
36. Appoint one member to the Chamber of Commerce Board of Directors.
37. Appoint one member to the Griffin-Spalding E-911 Board.
38. Appoint one member to the Council on Aging.
39. Appoint three members to the Pension Committee.
40. Appoint two members to the Planning and Zoning Board.
41. Appoint ten members to the City of Griffin Tree Board.
42. Appoint four members to the Downtown Development Authority.
43. Appoint two members to the Historic Preservation Commission.
44. Appoint four members to the Griffin Main Street Advisory Board.
CITY MANAGERíS REPORT
The City Manager will update the Commission on pending items, upcoming
workshops, meetings, conferences and other pertinent issues.
CITY COMMISSIONER COMMENTS
Commissioners will provide updates regarding issues of interest from their respective
districts and/or committee reports.