REGULAR SCHEDULED MEETING
CITY OF GRIFFIN BOARD OF COMMISSIONERS
TUESDAY, JULY 24, 2012
W. ELMER GEORGE MUNICIPAL HALL
100 SOUTH HILL STREET
Call to order by Chairperson Ward
Pledge of Allegiance
PRESENTATIONS / DELEGATIONS
1. Recognize Darrell Dix of the Police Department for 25 years of service to
the City of Griffin. Chief Frank Strickland will address.
At this time, the Chairperson opens the floor to comments from the audience. Comments
should relate to a specific agenda item, not listed on the agenda for a Public Hearing, or to a
concern within the jurisdiction of the City. Commission meetings serve the purpose of
conducting city business and are not a forum for the unlimited expression of opinion. The
Chairperson reserves the right to limit comments to matters germane to city business and may
refer speakers to the City Manager or other staff for resolution.
Public Hearings are conducted to allow public comment on specific advertised issues such as
rezoning, ordinances, policy development, operating budgets and other legislative actions to be
considered by the City Commission.
2. Consider approval of Minutes of the Regular Scheduled Meeting on July
3. Consider Second and Final Reading of an Ordinance amending the Code
of Griffin at Chapter 58, Offenses and Miscellaneous Provisions, Article 1
at Section 58-9, False Alarms.
4. Consider Second and Final Reading of an Ordinance amending the Code
of Griffin at Chapter 38, Courts, by repealing the present Chapter in its
entirety and enacting a new Chapter 38, Courts.
5. Consider Second and Final Reading of an Ordinance amending the Code
of Griffin at Chapter 63, Pawnshops and Dealers, Section 63-6
Exemptions, by deleting the present section in its entirety and enacting a
new Section 63-6.
6. Consider Second and Final Reading of an Ordinance amending the Code
of Griffin at Chapter 10, Amusement and Entertainment, by enacting a
new Article III, Bona Fide Coin Operated Amusement Machines, to
enforce, by ordinance, within the City those certain prohibitions,
restrictions and regulations allowed by the 2012 Session of the General
Assembly of Georgia.
The Regular Agenda includes items on which the Commission will individually consider and
possibly take action.
7. Consider a letter authorizing renewal of the contract between the City of
Griffin and Redflex Traffic Systems, Inc. for Photo Enforcement of the
intersection at Hwy 92 & Ga. 3. Chief Frank Strickland will address.
8. Consider a corrected Resolution and Assignment Agreement between the
City of Griffin and The Town of Brinson, Georgia. Director of Electric
Bill Bosch will address.
9. Consider awarding chemical bids to multiple suppliers for Water and
Wastewater Treatment Plants. Director of Public Works and Utilities Dr.
Brant Keller will address.
10. Consider awarding bid and Agreement for Construction to Brent
Scarbrough & Company, Inc. for Section 310(h) FY10 Grant “Installation
and Stream Restoration to Address NPS and Sediment TMDL in the
Potato Creek Watershed”, in the amount of $461,174.87. Director of
Public Works and Utilities Dr. Brant Keller will address.
11. Consider awarding bid and construction contract to C.W. Matthews
Contracting Company, LLC for the resurfacing of City streets in the
amount of $1,141,067.71. Director of Public Works and Utilities Dr.
Brant Keller will address.
12. Consider USGS Joint Funding Agreement for seven streamflow and
rainfall gauging stations for the period of 7/1/12 through 6/30/2013.
Director of Public Works and Utilities Dr. Brant Keller will address.
CITY MANAGER’S REPORT
The City Manager will update the Commission on pending items, upcoming workshops,
meetings, conferences and other pertinent issues.
CITY COMMISSIONER COMMENTS
Commissioners will provide updates regarding issues of interest from their respective districts
and/or committee reports.