REGULAR SCHEDULED MEETING
CITY OF GRIFFIN BOARD OF COMMISSIONERS
TUESDAY, JULY 26, 2011
W. ELMER GEORGE MUNICIPAL HALL
100 SOUTH HILL STREET
Call to order by Chairperson Todd
Pledge of Allegiance
PRESENTATIONS / DELEGATIONS
1. Recognize Lieutenant Darrell Dix of the Police Department as June 2011
“Strongest Link” Award recipient. Chief Frank Strickland will address.
2. Consider a Proclamation recognizing City Attorney Andrew J. Whalen
upon his induction into the Municipal Government Hall of Fame at the
annual Georgia Municipal Association meeting in Savannah, Georgia.
City Manager Kenny Smith will address.
3. Consider a Proclamation recognizing MDA, Griffin Fire and EMS
Firefighter Appreciation Week. Chief Tommy Jones will address.
At this time, the Chairperson opens the floor to comments from the audience. Comments
should relate to a specific agenda item, not listed on the agenda for a Public Hearing, or to a
concern within the jurisdiction of the City. Commission meetings serve the purpose of
conducting city business and are not a forum for the unlimited expression of opinion. The
Chairperson reserves the right to limit comments to matters germane to city business and may
refer speakers to the City Manager or other staff for resolution.
Public Hearings are conducted to allow public comment on specific advertised issues such as
rezoning, ordinances, policy development, operating budgets and other legislative actions to be
considered by the City Commission.
4. Consider approval of Minutes of the Regular Scheduled Meeting on July
The Regular Agenda includes items on which the Commission will individually consider and
possibly take action.
5. Consider a Resolution authorizing the City of Griffin to submit to the
Georgia Department of Natural Resources, authorization to execute an
agreement governing expenditures for state and local governments for
$32,887.36 in eligible costs from the Hazardous Waste Trust Fund for
corrective action and minor modification costs incurred at the Shoal Creek
Landfill Phases 1 & 2. Director of Central Services Phill Francis will
6. Consider purchase of a 2011 Polaris Ranger Crew Model R11 WH76 AG
from Adrenalin Power Sports, the State Contract approved vendor, in the
amount of $15,061.97, for use at the Shoal Creek Landfill. Director of
Central Services Phill Francis will address.
7. Consider purchase of 450 sixty-five gallon recycling carts from Otto
Environmental for use in the residential division of Solid Waste at a total
cost of $20,542.50. Director of Central Services Phill Francis will
8. Consider a Task Order for Engineering Strategies, Inc. in the amount not
to exceed $75,000.00 for the analysis of the Still Branch Water Plant for
the expansion to 12 mgd. Director of Public Works and Utilities Dr.
Brant Keller will address.
9. Consider the purchase of three (3) Grass Hopper Mowers, model 325-D61,
off State Contract from Stananco, Inc., for use at the Cemetery, City Park
and Harry Simmons Water Treatment Plant, for a total cost of $30,164.40.
Director of Public Works and Utilities Dr. Brant Keller will address.
10. Consider approval of a contract with Datamatx, Inc. for the provision of
utility bill printing and mailing services and online utility payment
processing. Director of Electric Bill Bosch will address.
11. Consider a request from the Griffin Main Street Program for $10,500.00
from the Commissioner’s Contingency fund (and amend the budget
accordingly) in order to purchase refuse/recycle receptacles for the Park at
Sixth, and a portable audio-visual system for use in the Park and at other
MSP events. Director of Planning and Development Services Frederick
Gardiner will address.
12. Appoint one (1) member to the Griffin-Spalding Land Bank Authority.
City Manager Kenny Smith will address.
CITY MANAGER’S REPORT
The City Manager will update the Commission on pending items, upcoming workshops,
meetings, conferences and other pertinent issues.
CITY COMMISSIONER COMMENTS
Commissioners will provide updates regarding issues of interest from their respective districts
and/or committee reports.