Agenda City of Griffin Commission Meeting August 14, 2012
REGULAR SCHEDULED MEETING
CITY OF GRIFFIN BOARD OF COMMISSIONERS
TUESDAY, AUGUST 14, 2012
W. ELMER GEORGE MUNICIPAL HALL
100 SOUTH HILL STREET
Call to order by Chairperson Ward
Pledge of Allegiance
PRESENTATIONS / DELEGATIONS
1. Recognize Mary Matthews with the Customer Service Department as the
July 2012 “Strongest Link” Award recipient. Director of Electric Bill
Bosch will address.
2. Recognize Fire Chief Tommy Jones and Water Supervisor Terry Parker
for 25 years of service to the City of Griffin. Chief Frank Strickland and
Director of Public Works & Utilities Dr. Brant Keller will address.
3. Recognize a Proclamation declaring August 15th as “Southside Rider’s
Association Day” in the City of Griffin.
4. Recognize awards for Comprehensive Annual Financial Report and
Popular Annual Financial Report. Director of Administrative Services
Markus Schwab will address.
5. Review Financials for June 2012. Director of Administrative Services
Markus Schwab will address.
At this time, the Chairperson opens the floor to comments from the audience. Comments
should relate to a specific agenda item, not listed on the agenda for a Public Hearing, or to a
concern within the jurisdiction of the City. Commission meetings serve the purpose of
conducting city business and are not a forum for the unlimited expression of opinion. The
Chairperson reserves the right to limit comments to matters germane to city business and may
refer speakers to the City Manager or other staff for resolution.
Agenda City of Griffin Commission Meeting August 14, 2012 2
Public Hearings are conducted to allow public comment on specific advertised issues such as
rezoning, ordinances, policy development, operating budgets and other legislative actions to be
considered by the City Commission.
6. Consider approval of Minutes of the Workshop on July 24, 2012 and
Minutes of the Regular Scheduled Meeting on July 24, 2012.
The Regular Agenda includes items on which the Commission will individually consider and
possibly take action.
7. Consider a Resolution to transfer financial assets in the amount of
$5,000,000.00 to Morgan Stanley Smith Barney to be managed by Sean
Cain, from the MEAG Municipal Competitive Trust Short-Term Portfolio
Flexible Operating Account. Director of Administrative Services Markus
Schwab will address.
8. Consider documents from Raymond James / Morgan Keegan regarding
Combined Public Utility Revenue Refunding & Improvement Bonds,
Series 2012. Director of Administrative Services Markus Schwab will
9. Consider budget amendments by Resolution for FY 2011-12 and FY
2012-13 in the amount of $4,010,500 for the rollover FY 2012 projects
that we will complete in FY 2013. Director of Administrative Services
Markus Schwab will address.
10. Consider First Reading of an Ordinance amending the Code of Griffin at
Chapter 82, Taxation, Article III, Excise Tax on Hotels. Director of
Administrative Services Markus Schwab will address.
11. Consider First Reading of an Ordinance amending the Code of Griffin at
Chapter 44, Emergency Management, to authorize the City of Griffin to
exercise emergency management powers within the City during declared
states of emergency. City Manager Kenny Smith will address.
12. Consider First Reading of an Ordinance amending the Code of Griffin at
Chapter 44, Media Productions, to establish a permitting system and
standards governing commercial media production within the city limits.
DDA Director Adam Causey will address.
13. Consider a revision to the Utility Incentive Program, requiring participants
in the program to make on-time utility payments or be removed from the
program. Director of Electric Bill Bosch will address.
Agenda City of Griffin Commission Meeting August 14, 2012 3
14. Consider the purchase of (250) 96-gallon containers for use in the Solid
Waste Division from Consolidated Disposal Systems at a cost of $86.18
each, for a total of $21,545.00. Director of Central Services Phill Francis
15. Consider awarding best bid to Golf Ventures, Inc. for a riding greens
mower in the amount of $32,995.00. Director of Public Works & Utilities
Dr. Brant Keller will address.
16. Consider a Task Order Form in accordance with the Master Services
Agreement with Florence & Hutchenson, Inc. for inspection and condition
assessment of roadway culverts in the amount of $12,800.00. Director of
Public Works & Utilities Dr. Brant Keller will address.
17. Consider a request from the University of Georgia College of Agriculture
& Environmental Sciences for fiscal year annual support of the Griffin
Campus Office of Continuing Education in the amount of $17,500.00.
City Manager Kenny Smith will address.
18. Consider approval of the Local Option Sales Tax (LOST) Certificate of
Distribution to the State Revenue Commissioner, allocating proceeds of
the city/county local sales and use tax to be distributed as following
effective January 1, 2013: City of Griffin shall receive 40.5%; County of
Spalding shall receive 59.5%. City Manager Kenny Smith will address.
19. Consider a Resolution of the Board of Commissioners of the City of
Griffin, Georgia, specifying and adopting a plan for the acquisition and
construction of site acquisition and site, utility and related improvements
for tax allocation district #2; specifying the estimated cost; authorizing
the issuance of $866,397.00 principal amount of tax allocation bonds;
describing said bonds; providing for the collection, handling and
disposition of tax allocation proceeds; authorizing and creating certain
funds and accounts for the bonds; authorizing the execution and delivery
of a bond purchase agreement; providing for an effective date of this
resolution. City Attorney Drew Whalen will address.
CITY MANAGER’S REPORT
The City Manager will update the Commission on pending items, upcoming workshops,
meetings, conferences and other pertinent issues.
CITY COMMISSIONER COMMENTS
Commissioners will provide updates regarding issues of interest from their respective districts
and/or committee reports.