REGULAR SCHEDULED MEETING
CITY OF GRIFFIN BOARD OF COMMISSIONERS
TUESDAY, AUGUST 23, 2011
W. ELMER GEORGE MUNICIPAL HALL
100 SOUTH HILL STREET
Call to order by Chairperson Todd
Pledge of Allegiance
PRESENTATIONS / DELEGATIONS
1. Recognize Will Stevens of the Griffin-Spalding Airport as the July 2011
“Strongest Link” award recipient. Airport Director Robert Mohl will
At this time, the Chairperson opens the floor to comments from the audience. Comments
should relate to a specific agenda item, not listed on the agenda for a Public Hearing, or to a
concern within the jurisdiction of the City. Commission meetings serve the purpose of
conducting city business and are not a forum for the unlimited expression of opinion. The
Chairperson reserves the right to limit comments to matters germane to city business and may
refer speakers to the City Manager or other staff for resolution.
Public Hearings are conducted to allow public comment on specific advertised issues such as
rezoning, ordinances, policy development, operating budgets and other legislative actions to be
considered by the City Commission.
2. Receive comments regarding a request to rezone 5.16 +/- acres located
along Mt. Zion Road from Low Density Residential-B (LDR-B) to
Planned Commercial District (PCD). Director of Planning and
Development Services Frederick Gardiner will address.
3. Consider approval of Minutes of the Regular Scheduled Meeting on
August 9, 2011.
4. Consider approval of the Second and Final Reading of an ordinance
amending the Code of Griffin to authorize Sunday sales of packaged
alcoholic beverages and to provide for the call of a special election to
ratify Sunday sales.
The Regular Agenda includes items on which the Commission will individually consider and
possibly take action.
5. Consider a request to rezone 5.16 +/- acres located along Mt. Zion Road
from Low Density Residential-B (LDR-B) to Planned Commercial District
(PCD). Director of Planning and Development Services Frederick
Gardiner will address.
6. Consider a budget amendment in the amount of $17,200.00 for the Griffin
Fire Department. Director of Administrative Services Markus Schwab will
7. Consider awarding bid and construction contract to Kemi Construction
Company, Inc. for the relocation of water and sewer utilities for the
Project NH000-0001-04(47) Spalding GDOT P.I. #342661 Sixth Street
Bridge in the amount of $318,322.00. Director of Public Works and
Utilities Dr. Brant Keller will address.
8. Consider renewal of Meter Reading Services Agreement between the City
of Griffin and Tru-Check, Inc. for one year, retroactive to July 1, 2011.
Director of Electric Bill Bosch will address.
9. Consider approval of Lease Agreement between the City of Griffin and
Tru-Check, Inc. for twelve (12) month lease of Suite 114 in One Griffin
Center effective October 1, 2011, in the amount of $9,116.64 per year.
City Manager Kenny Smith will address.
10. Remove from the table and consider request of Spalding County
Collaborative for Families and Children, Inc. for $10,000 matching
funding for the Strengthening Communities Fund-Non-Profit Capacity
Building Program grant. City Manager Kenny Smith will address.
CITY MANAGER’S REPORT
The City Manager will update the Commission on pending items, upcoming workshops,
meetings, conferences and other pertinent issues.
CITY COMMISSIONER COMMENTS
Commissioners will provide updates regarding issues of interest from their respective districts
and/or committee reports.