REGULAR SCHEDULED MEETING
CITY OF GRIFFIN BOARD OF COMMISSIONERS
TUESDAY, JANUARY 8, 2013
W. ELMER GEORGE MUNICIPAL HALL
100 SOUTH HILL STREET
Call to order by Chairperson Ward
Pledge of Allegiance
SPECIAL ORDERS OF BUSINESS
1. Elect Chairperson for calendar year 2013.
2. Appoint Vice-Chairperson for calendar year 2013 by the Chairperson.
PRESENTATIONS / DELEGATIONS
3. Recognize Chairperson Cynthia Reid Ward for her service as Mayor of the
City of Griffin for calendar year 2012. 2013 Chairperson will address.
4. Recognize Stan Phillips of the Police Department as the December 2012
“Strongest Link” Award recipient. Chief Frank Strickland will address.
5. Review Financials for November 2012. Director of Administrative
Services Markus Schwab will address.
At this time, the Chairperson opens the floor to comments from the audience.
Comments should relate to a specific agenda item, not listed on the agenda for a Public
Hearing, or to a concern within the jurisdiction of the City. Commission meetings
serve the purpose of conducting city business and are not a forum for the unlimited
expression of opinion. The Chairperson reserves the right to limit comments to matters
germane to city business and may refer speakers to the City Manager or other staff for
Public Hearings are conducted to allow public comment on specific advertised issues
such as rezoning, ordinances, policy development, operating budgets and other
legislative actions to be considered by the City Commission.
6. Consider approval of Minutes of the Regular Scheduled Meeting on
December 11, 2012 and Minutes of the Workshop on December 11, 2012.
7. Consider Second and Final Reading of the proposed amendment to the
City of Griffin Code of Ordinances at Chapter 6, Alcoholic Beverages, to
allow for the sale of malt beverages through “growlers” at certain offpremise
alcoholic beverage license holders, and to create a “Specialty
Package Retailer” designation for off-premises malt beverage and wine
sales within the downtown commercial historic district.
The Regular Agenda includes items on which the Commission will individually
consider and possibly take action.
8. Consider for approval a Resolution to amend the City of Griffin’s Fiscal
Year 2012-13 Operating and Capital Budget in the amount of $9 million
per the Agreement between the City of Griffin, County of Coweta and
Coweta Water & Sewerage Authority ratified on September 11, 2012.
Director of Administrative Services Markus Schwab will address.
9. Consider Task Order in accordance with the Master Services Agreement
with Engineering Strategies Inc., for civil engineering design, surveying,
bid documents and construction management for the upgrade and
expansion of the Still Branch Regional Reservoir Treatment Plant in an
amount not to exceed $483,450.00. Director of Public Works and Utilities
Brant Keller will address.
10. Consider Xylem-Leopold for the Clari-DAF Unit for the Still Branch
Regional Reservoir water treatment plant expansion and upgrade in the
amount of $1,000,200.00. Director of Public Works and Utilities Brant
Keller will address.
11. Consider the purchase of one 4-yard stationary compactor from Nu-Life
Environmental, Inc., the lowest and most responsive bidder, in the amount
of $16,589.10, to be installed at Caterpillar, Inc., and amend the budget
accordingly. Director of Central Services Phill Francis will address.
12. Approve Resolution making appointment to the office of Judge of the
Municipal Court and approving compensation for said position.
13. Approve Resolution making appointment to the office of Municipal Court
Solicitor and approving compensation for said position.
14. Approve Resolution making appointment to the office of Municipal Court
Clerk and approving compensation for said position.
15. Approve Resolution making appointment to the office of Municipal
Registrar and approving compensation for said position.
16. Approve Resolution making appointment to the office of City Attorney
and approving compensation for said position.
17. Appoint two members to the Griffin-Spalding Hospital Authority.
18. Appoint three members to the Griffin-Spalding Development Authority.
19. Appoint three members to the Griffin Housing Authority.
20. Appoint three members to the Airport Advisory Board.
21. Appoint six members to the Griffin-Spalding Area Transportation
22. Appoint two members to the Three Rivers Board of Directors.
23. Appoint one member to the Board of Health.
24. Appoint three members to the Spalding County Collaborative Authority.
25. Appoint one member to the Workforce Investment Council.
26. Appoint one member to the Griffin Downtown Council.
27. Appoint one member to the Chamber of Commerce Board of Directors.
28. Appoint one member to the Griffin-Spalding E911 Board.
29. Appoint two members to the Pension Committee.
30. Appoint two members to the Planning and Zoning Board.
31. Appoint ten members to the City of Griffin Tree Board.
32. Appoint two members to the Downtown Development Authority.
33. Appoint one member to the Historic Preservation Commission.
34. Appoint four members to the Main Street Program Advisory Board.
35. Appoint two members to the Griffin-Spalding Land Bank Authority.
CITY MANAGER’S REPORT
The City Manager will update the Commission on pending items, upcoming
workshops, meetings, conferences and other pertinent issues.
CITY COMMISSIONER COMMENTS
Commissioners will provide updates regarding issues of interest from their respective
districts and/or committee reports.