REGULAR SCHEDULED MEETING
CITY OF GRIFFIN BOARD OF COMMISSIONERS
TUESDAY, MAY 14, 2013
W. ELMER GEORGE MUNICIPAL HALL
100 SOUTH HILL STREET
Call to order by Chairperson Todd
Pledge of Allegiance
PRESENTATIONS / DELEGATIONS
1. Recognize Carol Rainwater of the Planning & Development Services
Department as the April, 2013 “Strongest Link” award recipient. Director
of Development Services Taurus Freeman will address.
2. Recognize Mr. Eddie Bogan, Certification Manager for the Griffin Police
Department, on the 3rd Recertification by the Commission on
Accreditation for Law Enforcement Agencies (CALEA). Chief Frank
Strickland will address.
3. Recognize Jack Goodman, Line Crew Supervisor (Electric), for 30 years
of service, and William “Todd” Harris, Corporal (Police), for 25 years of
service to the City of Griffin. Director of Electric Bill Bosch and Chief
Frank Strickland will address.
4. Recognize Still Branch Regional Reservoir Water Treatment Plant
employees on the Plant of the Year Award for Surface Water 9.0-14.99
MGD, from the Georgia Association of Water Professionals (GAWP).
Director of Public Works and Utilities Dr. Brant Keller will address.
5. Review Financial for March 2013. Director of Administrative Services
Markus Schwab will address.
CITIZEN COMMENTS 2
At this time, the Chairperson opens the floor to comments from the audience.
Comments should relate to a specific agenda item, not listed on the agenda for a Public
Hearing, or to a concern within the jurisdiction of the City. Commission meetings
serve the purpose of conducting city business and are not a forum for the unlimited
expression of opinion. The Chairperson reserves the right to limit comments to matters
germane to city business and may refer speakers to the City Manager or other staff for
Public Hearings are conducted to allow public comment on specific advertised issues
such as rezoning, ordinances, policy development, operating budgets and other
legislative actions to be considered by the City Commission.
6. Consider approval of Minutes of the Joint Workshop on April 9, 2013,
Minutes of Workshop on April 23, 2013 and Minutes of Regular
Scheduled Meeting on April 23, 2013.
7. Consider Second and Final First Reading of an amendment to the Unified
Development Code of the City of Griffin (published as Article XII Signs Sec.
1214) with respect to Regulation of Signs by Land Use: Emerging Corridor.
8. Consider Second and Final Reading of an Ordinance amending the Code
of Griffin at Chapter 94, Utilities, Article IX, Easement Acquisition
Policy, Section 94-376, by deleting the present code in its entirety and
enacting a new Section 94-376, eliminating the 20% multiplier in
The Regular Agenda includes items on which the Commission will individually
consider and possibly take action.
9. Consider a request to name the City Pool complex “Zenobia Hood
Kinnebrew City Pool”. City Manager Kenny Smith will address.
10. Consider approval to declare City of Griffin out of life cycle IT equipment
surplus and sell through GovDeals online auction service. Chief
Information Officer Jack Poland will address.
11. Consider amending the General Fund Operating Budget for FY 2013 in
the amount of $12,100.00 in order to cover costs incurred in FY 2013 for
materials and items associated with the Archivist position. Director of
Planning & Development Services Taurus Freeman will address.3
12. Consider awarding bid and construction contract to lowest and best bidder,
Davidson Hydrant and Utility Services, for the relocation of a 12” water
main at the bridge on Maple Drive in the amount of $52,742.00. Director
of Public Works & Utilities Dr. Brant Keller will address.
13. Consider the purchase of a pre-fabricated bridge from Contect Engineered
Solutions for the bridge at Maple Drive in the amount of $90,850.00.
Director of Public Works & Utilities Dr. Brant Keller will address.
14. Consider approval to award Brent Scarbrough & Co., Inc. work request in
the amount of $19,880.00 for the connection of 260 linear feet of 8” water
main on Ga. Hwy 19/41, and amend the budget accordingly. Director of
Public Works & Utilities Dr. Brant Keller will address.
15. Consider First Reading of an Ordinance establishing an Environmental
Council and amending the Code of Griffin, Georgia, at Chapter 98,
Vegetation, Article II Trees, to allow the Environmental Council to
function in Lieu of the Tree Board. Director of Public Works and
Utilities Dr. Brant Keller will address.
16. Consider approval to amend the City of Griffin’s Fiscal year 2012-2013
Capital and Operating Budget for the purchase of a K-9 Training Suit.
Chief Frank Strickland will address.
17. Consider approval of the Timber Management Contract between Spalding
County, City of Griffin and Joel Vinson & Associates. Chief Frank
Strickland will address.
18. Consider an Intergovernmental Agreement between the City of Griffin and
Spalding County for the construction and operation of the GriffinSpalding Law Enforcement Firing Range. Chief Frank Strickland will
19. Consider approval to award bid for a new fire suppression system to be
installed in the IT Server Room to Georgia Independent Sprinklers, Inc. in
the amount of $28,000.00. Director of Central Services Phill Francis will
20. Consider approval of Work Authorization between the City of Griffin and
Michael Baker, Jr., Inc. Consulting (formerly LPA Group) to provide
administrative services for the acquisition via Federal Land Acquisition
Regulations of a parcel of land adjacent to the Griffin-Spalding County
Airport. Airport Manager Robert Mohl will address.
21. Consider acceptance of a grant agreement between the City of Griffin and
the Georgia Dept. of Transportation to conduct Airport Improvement
Project (AIP) AP013-9019-29(255) hereafter referred to as AIP-29, for the 4
purpose of improving the Griffin-Spalding County Airport Infrastructure.
Airport Manager Robert Mohl will address.
22. Consider approval to amend the City of Griffin’s Fiscal Year 2012-2013
Operating and Capital budget in the amount of $225,600.00 for the
Griffin-Spalding County Airport. Airport Manager Robert Mohl will
23. Consider a Resolution of Support endorsing the application by Meriwether
Redevelopment I, LLC to the Georgia Department of Community Affairs
for low income housing tax credits and/or HOME funds for the
redevelopment of the property currently known as Meriwether Homes.
City Manager Kenny Smith will address.
24. Consider a Water Sales Agreement with Spalding County and the
Spalding County Water & Sewerage Authority to provide treated drinking
water for the Spalding County Water System. City Manager Kenny Smith
25. Remove from the Table, and consider a revised Intergovernmental
Agreement between the City of Griffin, Spalding County and the GriffinSpalding County Airport Authority for joint funding of general aviation
operations. City Manager Kenny Smith will address.
CITY MANAGER’S REPORT
The City Manager will update the Commission on pending items, upcoming
workshops, meetings, conferences and other pertinent issues.
CITY COMMISSIONER COMMENTS
Commissioners will provide updates regarding issues of interest from their respective
districts and/or committee reports.