REGULAR SCHEDULED MEETING
CITY OF GRIFFIN BOARD OF COMMISSIONERS
TUESDAY, AUGUST 13, 2013
W. ELMER GEORGE MUNICIPAL HALL
100 SOUTH HILL STREET
Call to order by Chairperson Todd
Pledge of Allegiance:
PRESENTATIONS / DELEGATIONS
1. Recognize Todd Pratt, of the Information Technology Department, as the
July, 2013 “Strongest Link” award recipient. Director of ITC, Jack
Poland, will address.
2. Clyde Forbes will make a presentation to the Commission regarding the
Hopeville Boys Center, Inc. Mentoring Program. Mr. Forbes will
3. Commissioner Beyah will make a presentation to the Commission
regarding his proposed “Making Griffin-Spalding Better Together
Conference”. Commissioner Shaheer Beyah will address.
4. Recognize the Certificate of Achievement for Excellence in Financial
Reporting (CAFR), and the Award for Outstanding Achievement in
Popular Annual Financial Reporting (PAFR). Director of Administrative
Services, Markus Schwab, will address.
5. Review Financials for June 2013. Director of Administrative Services,
Markus Schwab, will address.
At this time, the Chairperson opens the floor to comments from the audience.
Comments should relate to a specific agenda item, not listed on the agenda for a Public
Hearing, or to a concern within the jurisdiction of the City. Commission meetings
serve the purpose of conducting city business and are not a forum for the unlimited
expression of opinion. The Chairperson reserves the right to limit comments to matters 2
germane to city business and may refer speakers to the City Manager or other staff for
Public Hearings are conducted to allow public comment on specific advertised issues
such as rezoning, ordinances, policy development, operating budgets and other
legislative actions to be considered by the City Commission.
6. Consider approval of Minutes of Workshop on July 23, 2013 and Minutes
of Regular Scheduled Meeting on July 23, 2013.
The Regular Agenda includes items on which the Commission will individually
consider and possibly take action.
7. Consider execution of an agreement with Allen-Smith Consulting to
prepare the City of Griffin’s FY 2014 Community Development Block
Grant application to the Georgia Department of Community Affairs.
Director of Planning & Development Services, Taurus Freeman, will
8. Consider approval, by Resolution, to amend the City of Griffin’s
Operating and Capital Budgets for Fiscal Year 2012-13 in the amount of
$10,563,060.00, and Fiscal Year 2013-14 in the amount of $10,951,842.00
for the rollover of Fiscal Year 2013 projects that we will complete in FY
2014. Director of Administrative Services, Markus Schwab, will address.
9. Consider approval of a contract with TCA Electrical to dismantle the old
and install the airport’s new beacon tower as part of the Airport
Improvement Grant Project AP013-9019-29(255) hereafter referred to as
AIP-29, for the purposes of improving the Griffin-Spalding County
Airport Safety and Infrastructure. Airport Manager, Robert Mohl, will
10. Consider approval of a Resolution to terminate the Airport Advisory
Board. Airport Manager, Robert Mohl, will address.
11. Consider approval of the timber contract between Spalding County, City
of Griffin and Moore Crowell, Inc., recipient of bid from Joel Vinson and
Associates. Chief Frank Strickland will address.
12. Consider approval of a Supplemental Agreement with Paragon Consulting
Group for Harry Simmons Water Treatment Plant for engineering, design 3
and construction management of 4 drain valves and actuators in the
amount of $24,720.00. Public Works and Utilities Director, Dr. Brant
Keller, will address.
13. Consider approval for EDT WaterWorks to conduct a Value Analysis
Review of the Potato Creek Wastewater Treatment Plant in an amount not
to exceed $5,500.00. Public Works and Utilities Director, Dr. Brant
Keller, will address.
14. Consider First Reading of an Ordinance amending the Code of Griffin,
Georgia at Chapter 38, COURTS, by repealing Sec. 38-13, Technology
Surcharge; and amend the City of Griffin’s Fiscal year 2013-14 Operating
and Capital budget in the amount of $46,900.00 in connection with the
new ordinance. City Attorney, Drew Whalen, will address.
15. Consider approval to accept donation of land for expansion of Turner
Street Park. M. Douglas Hollberg, Jr., owner of real property at 509 &
523 N. 12th Street, has donated the lot, which abuts Turner Street Park
(also previously donated to the City by Mr. Hollberg) for park expansion.
City Attorney, Drew Whalen, will address.
16. Consider approval for Chairperson Joanne Todd to attend the GMA Fall
Training Program on September 17, 2013 at the Georgia Center in Athens,
Georgia. City Manager, Kenny Smith, will address.
17. Consider two Resolutions authorizing the Chairperson of the City of
Griffin Board of Commissioners to execute amendments to the land lese
options, lease agreements and communication tower agreements with SBA
Properties for premises at 401 North Expressway and 869 S. 9th Street.
City Manager, Kenny Smith, will address.
CITY MANAGER’S REPORT
The City Manager will update the Commission on pending items, upcoming
workshops, meetings, conferences and other pertinent issues.
CITY COMMISSIONER COMMENTS
Commissioners will provide updates regarding issues of interest from their respective
districts and/or committee reports.