Regular Scheduled Meeting
CITY OF GRIFFIN BOARD OF COMMISSIONERS
August 27, 2013
W. ELMER GEORGE MUNICIPAL HALL
100 SOUTH HILL STREET
Call to order by Chairperson Todd
Pledge of Allegiance
PRESENTATIONS / DELEGATIONS
1. Recognize Corporal Stan Phillips, who was named Officer of the Year for Valor in 2013 by the
Peace Officer's Association of Georgia. The award was presented to Corporal Phillips at the
annual conference held in Savannah on August 13, 2013. Chief Frank Strickland will address.
2. Recognize a Proclamation acknowledging the 65th Anniversary of the Griffin Chapter American
Business Club. Chairperson Todd will address.
C i t i z e n Co m m e n t s
At this time, the Chairperson opens the floor to comments from the audience. Comments should relate to a
specific agenda item, not listed on the agenda for a Public Hearing, or to a concern within the jurisdiction
of the City. Commission meetings serve the purpose of conducting city business and are not a forum for the
unlimited expression of opinion. The Chairperson reserves the right to limit comments to matters germane
to city business and may refer speakers to the City Manager or other staff for resolution.
Public Hearings are conducted to allow public comment on specific advertised issues such as rezoning,
ordinances, policy development, operating budgets and other legislative actions to be considered by the City
3. Receive comments regarding a request to amend the Unified Development Code, of the City of
Griffin, Article 7, Section 724, Medical Overlay District and Boundary Map. Taurus Freeman
4. Consider approval of Minutes of Regular Scheduled Meeting on August 13, 2013.
5. Consider Second and Final Reading of an Ordinance amending the Code of Griffin, Georgia, at
Chapter 38, COURTS, by repealing Sec. 38-13, Technology Surcharge; and amending the City
of Griffin's Fiscal Year 2013-2014 Operating and Capital budget in the amount of $46,900.00 in
connection with the new ordinance.
The Regular Agenda includes items on which the Commission will individually consider and possibly take
6. Consider approval of a request to amend the Unified Development Code, of the City of Griffin,
Article 7, Section 724, Medical Overlay District and Boundary Map. Taurus Freeman will
7. Jerome Leeks requests permission to erect a monument at the City of Griffin Golf Course in
honor of Jolee Mathis. Mr. Leeks will address.
8. Consider approval of a Resolution by the Board of Commissioners of the City of Griffin,
Georgia, Amending the City of Griffin 401(a) Plan, Originally adopted effective October 31,
2010, as amended, by restating the Plan to bring it into compliance with the Pension Protection
Act of 2006 ("PPA"), the Heros Earnings Assistance and Relief Tax Act of 2008 ("HEART"),
and other legislative and regulatory changes, effective July 1, 2013. Director of Human
Resources Miles Neville will address.
9. Consider a Task Order for 2014 CDBG Redevelopment Project - Phase VI for preliminary
engineering, design and rights-of-way to Paragon Consulting Group in the amount of $6,700.00
for the Public Works and Utilities Department. Dr. Brant D. Keller will address.
10. Consider a Task Order for 2013 CDBG Redevelopment Project Zone V engineering, design
and construction management to Paragon Consultant Group in the amount of $81,600.00 for
the Public Works and Utilities Department. Dr. Brant Keller will address.
11. Consider purchase of a John Deere Model 7700 Fairway Mower from Greenville Turf & Tractor
in the amount of $48,951.15 for the City of Griffin Golf Course. Dr. Brant D. Keller will address.
12. Consider approval of the Short-Term Shopping Center Lease Agreement between Equity One
Inc., landlord of property, located at 117 Spalding Village Shopping Center and City of Griffin.
Chief C. Frank Strickland will address.
13. Consider approval of an Agreement between the City of Griffin and the
Griffin-Spalding County Board of Education for the purpose of providing School Resource
Officers to the school system. Chief Frank Strickland will address.
14. Consider renewal of lease between the City of Griffin and Griffin-Spalding County United Way
for 200 square feet of space located on the fifth floor of One Griffin Center, known as Suite
501. Kenny Smith will address.
15. Consider renewal of lease between the City of Griffin and Caring Hands United, Inc. for 1316
square feet of space located on the fifth floor of One Griffin Center, known as Suite 525. Kenny
Smith will address.
16. Consider approval for Commissioner Dick Morrow to attend the GMA Legislative Policy Council
& Board of Directors Meeting on October 3 & 4, 2013 in Columbus, Georgia. Kenny Smith will
CITY MANAGER'S REPORT
The City Manager will update the Commission on pending items, upcoming workshops, meetings,
conferences and other pertinent issues.
CITY COMMISSIONER COMMENTS
Commissioners will provide updates regarding issues of interest from their respective districts and/or